Let's understand commuted pension by way of an example.
For a government employee, commuted pension is fully exempt.
For a non-government employee, it is partially exempt.
- If Gratuity is also received with pension – 1/3rdof the amount of pension that would have been received if 100% of the pension was commuted is exempt from commuted pension and remaining is taxed as salary.
- Only pension is received, gratuity is not received – ½ of the amount of pension that would have been received if 100% of the pension was commuted is exempt.
Uncommuted pension or any periodical payment of pension is fully taxable like salary. In the above case Rs 9,000 received by you is included under income from salary. Rs 10,000 starting the age of 70 years is fully taxable as well.
Pension received by a family member is taxed under 'income from other sources'. Some exemption is allowed on uncommuted pension or monthly pension received by a family member. Rs 15,000 or 1/3rd of the uncommuted pension received -whichever is less is exempt from tax. If a portion of the pension is commuted it is not taxable for the receiver.
Pension that is received from UNO by its employees or their family is exempt from tax. Pension received by family members of Armed Forces is also exempt.
Tax benefits on contribution – Contributions made to a pension fund are eligible for deduction under section 80C. A maximum of Rs 1,50,000 can be claimed under section 80C.
If you are contributing to an NPS account, deduction under section 80CCD(1B) can be claimed by you. The maximum amount that can be claimed under this section is Rs 50,000. But amount received on maturity is fully taxable unless invested in annuities. And monthly receipts from an annuity are fully taxable as well.
Top 4 Tax Saver Mutual Funds for 2017
Best 4 ELSS Mutual Funds to invest in India for 2017
1. DSP BlackRock Tax Saver Fund
2. Invesco India Tax Plan
3. Tata India Tax Savings Fund
4. BNP Paribas Long Term Equity Fund
Invest in Best Performing 2017 Tax Saver Mutual Funds Online
For further information contact Prajna Capital on 94 8300 8300
Leave your comment with mail ID and we will answer them
You can write to us at
PrajnaCapital [at] Gmail [dot] Com
Call us on 94 8300 8300