Skip to main content

Do not change your Mutual Fund quickly

Best SIP Funds Online 


I had been lucky with the choice of my first pair of running shoes. I managed to get one that suited my posture and comfort perfectly. A year later it was time to change as the soles wore out. The idea of change brought some excitement. Even though the Asics Gel Kayano I had was good enough, I began research for something better. I found what I thought to be a better shoe at an even better price. What a deal! I had nailed this change.

Six months into running with the new pair, I developed a persistent pain in my foot. Soon I was limping a bit. It confirmed what I had felt for some time, the shoe I researched and thought was better, actually wasn't a good fit. I should have remained with the good-enough pair. The risk of sustaining an injury with an unsuitable pair of shoes, it dawned on me, was simply not worth taking.

It got me thinking: are we guilty of wanting change for the sake of it? Often the desire for change can overlook the proportionate risk that comes with looking for something  better than one that is already working just fine. Have you found yourself reviewing your investment portfolio at the end of a year with the thought of replacing some current holdings with funds or securities that offer potentially more returns, better performance? Making investment choices, be it a review of existing funds or fresh investments, is predisposed to starting with a peer group performance comparison. I too am guilty of this first step of glancing through returns. However, before making a final choice, a broader analysis follows: other factors like fund house processes, fund manager ability, consistency, portfolio attributes and risk are applied. Many times at the end of the process I find the funds that are already there in the portfolio are good enough, and so I have to resist the urge for change.

Why was I quick to change the good-enough shoe but prudently refrain from redeeming the good-enough fund? Maybe I understand risk in the latter slightly better. Running is relatively new in my routine as compared to mutual funds; hence, for me it's an easy decision. For example, I know not to add more in a mid-cap fund despite better performance than say the large-cap peer if I am already over allocated to that segment of the market. Adding another fund will mean higher risk. Sorting through the individual scheme choices is a conscious decision on both risk and return characteristics. With the choice of shoe the decision was harder to make, took several days and I made the wrong choice anyway.

Not knowing the product well enough can lead to wrong choices. Today, many people are investing in mutual funds the money they would otherwise allocate to fixed deposits. The various types of mutual fund schemes do provide a solution for all kinds of investment requirements. However, investing without proper knowledge of risk-return dynamics can lead you to make the wrong choice. For a fixed deposit investor, shifting directly to equity or balanced funds—indicating assured monthly dividend—can hurt when the market corrects. Unless one understands the nature of equity investing and the risks in short-term allocation to equity, this shift may be not sustainable.

Moreover, the starting point should not be about higher returns. Nevertheless, intuitively the first point of reference is always the checking up on relative return: does a mutual fund give more return than a fixed deposit? Is my existing fund good enough or shall I see if I can invest in something with higher returns? Nothing wrong with looking at performance, provided you understand the reason you are investing in a particular product, its characteristics and the risk that comes along.

Think about other factors that can have an impact on your investment journey. Here's the thing, while I realised the wrong choice with the new pair of shoes, simultaneously there were other changes. Each week I had started something we call interval runs, which requires several sprints in short bursts of 500-700 m in addition to a steady long-distance runs. To sustain, I needed to stretch and strengthen leg muscles—which I wasn't focusing on. A kind runner friend advised me correctly, which has helped along with my decision to revert to the original shoe type for my long-distance running.

For fund selection too there are many factors at play. Along with risk and return, be mindful of aspects like your financial goals, asset allocation, the external market cycle and last, the fund portfolio characteristics, fund house and fund manager.

In any discussion on fund selection, I find all arguments lead back to getting the right type of advice. I was lucky to have shared my running dilemma and get the right advice from a more experienced runner and trainer. Seeking out good advice from advisers is a must if filtering through all these factors and risk and return of schemes doesn't come naturally to you.

Changing your fund or investment security just because another seems like an even better one is a decision that can't be based on performance alone. Don't make the mistake I did by getting excited about the idea of change without considering the potential limp it can cause — be it your health or wealth. 



SIPs are when Stock Market is high volatile. Invest in Best Mutual Fund SIPs and get good returns over a period of time. Know Top SIP Funds to Invest Save Tax Get Rich

For further information on Top SIP Mutual Funds contact Save Tax Get Rich on 94 8300 8300

OR

You can write to us at

Invest [at] SaveTaxGetRich [dot] Com

Popular posts from this blog

L&T Income Opportunities Fund dividend

Download Tax Saving Mutual Fund Application Forms Invest In Tax Saving Mutual Funds Online Buy Gold Mutual Funds Leave a missed Call on 94 8300 8300 L&T Income Opportunities Fund declares L&T Mutual Fund has announced dividend under the following schemes: Scheme Dividend ( R /unit) L&T Gilt Investment-DQ 0.3 L&T Gilt Investment Direct-DQ 0.3 L&T Income Opportunities Ret-DQ 0.31 L&T MIP-Wealth Builder-DQ 0.3 L&T MIP-Wealth Builder Direct-DQ 0.3 L&T MIP-DQ 0.3 L&T MIP Direct-DQ 0.3 L&T Short Term Opp-DQ 0.26 L&T Short Term Opp Di...

Mutual Fund Exit Load Changes

Download Tax Saving Mutual Fund Application Forms Invest In Tax Saving Mutual Funds Online Buy Gold Mutual Funds Leave a missed Call on 94 8300 8300 Mutual Fund Exit Load Changes AMCs don't communicate about any change in exit load directly with investors, but do update on their website   The exit load applicable to your investments is the load which existed at the time when you invested in the particular fund. Any subsequent changes in the exit load will not be applicable to your investments.   However, Asset Management Companies ( AMCs ) periodically publish addendums in the newspapers, which state any change in exit loads of specific schemes managed by them. Such changes are also posted on their websites. However, a direct communication to an investor is not made, considering the costs involved in doing so. In their own interests, investors should not only track the performance of the funds they i...

Debt Mutual Fund Dividends are Taxable

DDT is deducted when a non-equity fund declares dividends. Equity and balanced fund dividends are tax-free The AMC is correct to deduct the dividend distribution tax (DDT) as it is mandated by tax laws. DDT in mutual funds is deducted every time a non-equity fund declares dividends. Equity fund and balanced fund dividends are tax-free . It is possible that you have invested in a non-equity fund for the first time or have received the dividend under a non-equity fund for the first time. That is why this is the first occasion when you have come across DDT.   The rate at which non-equity schemes deduct DDT has also gone up after the July 2014 budget. This is due to a change in calculation methodology. Earlier, if the fund has to declare a dividend of R 100, it used to make a provision for R 128.3, paying R 28.3 to the taxman and distributing the balance to the investor. This allowed the investor to bear less tax since the effective tax rate was 22.07 per ce...

Franklin India High Growth Companies Fund

Franklin India High Growth Companies Fund Online One of the key developments that the Street is keenly waiting for is a cut in interest rates by Reserve Bank of India . With demand rising gradually, a rate cut is expected to boost earnings growth for companies. In such a situation, schemes which invest in high growth companies are best suited, especially when seen from a long-term perspective. One such scheme is Franklin India High Growth Companies Fund. Fund managers Anand Radhakrishnan, Roshi Jain and Srikesh Nair strictly follow valuation parameters when it comes to choosing stocks.Valuation parameters, such as enterprise value, price-to-earnings growth ratio, forward price-to-sales ratio and discounted earnings per share, play a critical role in selecting companies for investments. Taking into account these parameters, the fund managers invest in companies which are poised for high growth in their respective sectors. This approach has been in favour of the scheme and it has perform...

Atal Pension Yojana contribution Tax Benefit for spouse

Contributions to Atal Pension Yojana (APY) are eligible for the same tax benefits as the NPS. This means that the contributions can be claimed under Section 80CCD (1B). The current limit for Section 80CCD (1B) is   Rs   50,000, over and above the   Rs   1.5 lakh limit under Section 80C. Section 80 CCD (1) is a different one, meant to cover employers' contribution towards NPS . You cannot get tax benefit by investing in the name of your spouse under Section 80 CCD . ------------------------------ ----------------- Invest Rs 1,50,000 and Save Tax under Section 80C. Get Great Returns by Investing in Best Performing ELSS Mutual Funds Top 10 Tax Saver Mutual Funds to invest in India for 2016 Best 10 ELSS Mutual Funds in India for 2016 1. BNP Paribas Long Term Equity Fund 2. Axis Tax Saver Fund 3. Religare Tax Plan 4. DSP BlackRock Tax Saver Fund 5. Franklin India TaxShield 6. ICICI Prudential Long Term Equity Fund 7. IDFC Tax Advantage (ELSS) Fund 8. Birla Sun Life Tax Relief 96 9. ...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Invest in Tax Saving Mutual Funds Download Any Applications
Transact Mutual Funds Online Invest Online
Buy Gold Mutual Funds Invest Now